Monday, August 26, 2013

Monday 08.26.2013

The day I lost the tractor!

It was a wonderful, extremely busy day at Ramsay...so busy, 
that I (SY) lost our John Deere 5300 tractor...for a while!
The only excuse I can come up with is that I had:
-- 35 people here today involved on 5 different projects covering the full 
    East-West axis of the estate
-- 80 telephone conversations (At one point while on the phone with TJ, 
    I had 4 people waiting in line to speak with me)
-- 5 on-site meetings with sub contractors
-- 4 deliveries, and
-- a few other things I'm sure I'm forgetting

A little after four o'clock this afternoon, I went up to get the tractor from the west pasture...
and it wasn't there! The field was filled with harvesting equipment belonging to the crew 
here taking up hay, and I thought maybe they had put it to use-- per an earlier agreement--
but I quickly spotted  each individual worker on a piece of equipment, so ruled out that
scenario. I racked my feeble brain trying to remember where I last left the tractor, but 
knew I had seen it [where it belonged] just a few hours earlier. And no one on site (other
than Don's hay crew) would have taken the tractor without letting me know. So, beginning
to doubt my sanity (among other things) I headed back down Farm House Lane. As I 
began to pass the southwest paddock on my right, I casually returned the wave of Billy 
Frazier...one of our part-time farm hands...riding along on our tractor...mowing the pasture... 
as he said he would be... in a telephone call at 3pm!! FYI--Billy was caller # 67 - - - 
I'm afraid to think what  transpired during the conversations with callers 68-80!!!

Farm House scrape-down

Studio lattice ready for painting
Finishing touches on the rock wall

On site today:

Sherry & SY
Kevin & Richard-Ramsay handymen
Kevin Kennedy-carpenter at the Studio
Mike Deane-freelance [bad back recovering] carpenter on special assignment
Don, Nate, McCoy - masons
Arty Lundgren- mason's boss
Rachel Lilly- our landscape architect
Chris & Todd-electricians at the Carriage House
Kevin Wagget-tiler at the Carriage House
Zeke Galvin- Owner, Grelen Nursery + 3 workers
Don Wright + 3 workers
Henry Smith-Central Virginia Builders  re: Main House exterior rehab
John Flevarakis + 5 painters Farm House, Studio deck
Matt - Arnold Excavators, Main Barn Paddock ground work
Zak Williams - farrier, trimming horses feet
Billy Frazier - farm hand
4 delivery guys

1 comment:

  1. I am exhausted just reading this post! Just think about your trip to the beach following the big event-rest and relaxation is just around the corner (well, maybe next month!). Thanks for keeping so many balls in the air!

    ReplyDelete